Here's what I'm planning to do for 2018:
1. The Well at the End of the World, by William Morris
2. East of Eden, by John Steinbeck
3. Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
4. The Shahnameh, by Ferdowsi and translated by Dick Davis
5. The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
6. The Moonstone, by Wilke Collins
7. The Odyssey, by Homer (hoping to pick up the new translation!)
8. Middlemarch, by George Eliot
9. The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy
10. Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
11. Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
12. The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Banned/Challenged Books Reading Challenge
Still waiting on a link for this one (2016 version), but no harm in deciding early to do this.
No real list of books yet, but I'm adding these to my list of books to consider:
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out, by Susan Kuklin
Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi
Revolutionary Voices, edited by Amy Sonnie
The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
As an additional challenge, I'm thinking it might be fun to cover these songs on the guitar.
Bandana and Vest is the level I'm aiming for (4 books).
Centennial, by James A. Michener
Riders of the Purple Sage, by Zane Grey
The Virginian, by Owen Wister
The Ox-bow Incident, by Walter Van Tilburg Clark